The River Blackwater Catchment Trust was formed early 2013 to address concerns about water quality and preservation of our wildlife around the banks of the Blackwater river and the surrounding areas.
We established charity status both north and south of the river and have been successful in securing funding to help us achieve our goals.
Our goals are to
- Improve water quality in the Blackwater river itself and the contributory feeder rivers.
- Improve fish population and spawning grounds along the rivers.
- Protect endangered species in and around the river system.
- Eliminate invasive flora from the catchment area.
- Implement a management plan for Sliabh Beagh.
- Make some of the lakes more accessible to the public.
- Protect the local red squirrel population and encourage breeding with feeding stations.
Although some funding has been secured and our volunteers work hard we will only make this happen through your hard work and donations so please help where you can to help us hold on to one of the areas greatest assets.